If you are a property claims adjuster or restoration contractor, you need to be able to accurately scope and estimate the repairs to buildings that have been damaged by all sorts of destructive occurrences. Whether it’s a flood resulting from a pipe bursting, damages resulting from a tree falling on a roof, a vehicle collision, or a total fire loss, you need to be able to identify what needs to be done to restore the building to its pre-loss condition and accurately estimate the costs.
The problem facing the insurance and restoration industry today is that too much emphasis is put on using the Xactimate program and sketching and very little attention is given to the tasks needed to establish an accurate repair scope and valuation, especially on large complex losses.
Download the Estimating Structure Fire & Large Loss Training PDF (1.9 MB)
For most property claims adjusters and restoration practitioners, writing an estimate on a basic water loss is relatively simple when most of the repairs typically involve visible finishes such as drywall, paint, flooring, and cabinets. However, when the damage involves more complicated issues such as framing, masonry, concrete, custom items or finishes, many estimators find themselves in way over their heads. This often leads to disputes, claim settlement delays, increased costs and litigation.
Here are a few areas where Sean can help strengthen your restoration company:
- Business development — all phases of restoration, including sales and marketing strategies.
- Implementation of best practices to ensure higher profits and long-term success.
- Training on estimating skills to maximize profits with Xactimate. You have no idea how much money you are leaving on the table!
- Creating alternatives to managed repair program work.
- Improving workforce efficiency – getting the most from your team without being a taskmaster.
- Creating compensation and incentive packages to attract and keep talented team members.
- Mastering skills to communicate with adjusters, especially when you don’t agree on scope or price.
- Leveraging science and technology as assets.
- Using building codes, laws, and regulations to your advantage.
- Fire and smoke restoration techniques — what works and what doesn’t.
- Refining work authorizations, change orders, and other important documents.
- How to vet and hire the right estimators, salespeople, and staff.
- And much, much more!
ABOUT YOUR COACH SEAN SCOTT
Sean Scott is a second-generation restoration contractor who has over 42 years of hands-on experience in the construction and restoration industry. He has been involved in over 10,000 residential and commercial property damage claims with most of the major insurance carriers. He is currently active in all types of fire, smoke, and flood restoration projects, appraisals, and construction consulting work.
Sean is also the author of Secrets of The Insurance Game, The Red Guide to Recovery – Resource Handbook for Disaster Survivors, Co-Author of The Native American Disaster Preparedness Handbook, and has published numerous papers and articles on restoration topics. Many of his articles have been published in Restoration & Remediation Magazine, Claims Magazine, U.S. News & World Report, and other publications.
Sean has also been featured in the following programs and periodicals:
NEW CLIENTS GET A FREE 30-MINUTE CONSULTATION!
FOR MORE INFORMATION, CONTACT SEAN SCOTT: